How to Prepare Your Home for Winter – Tips for Cold Weather Pest Control in Vancouver
As winter approaches, the colder temperatures can exacerbate your pest problems. At this time, it is important to set up safeguards around your home to prevent the infestation of insects, rodents, and other critters who are looking for shelter. There are also other benefits to maintaining your home, aside from keeping pests away. For instance, sealing any gaps or holes around your home will help conserve heat and save you money on energy bills.
If you believe that freezing temperatures or snow on the ground signals the eradication of all pests, you may want to re-evaluate. Since cold weather makes it difficult for pests to survive outdoors, your home is likely to become more vulnerable to an
infestation during the fall and winter months. If you suspect that your home has been invaded or want to prevent this from happening, call an exterminator in Vancouver. We will help you eliminate potential risks around your home through safe and effective treatments.
5 Methods of Fall Pest Prevention
You are not the only one who enjoys a warm and cozy home. Pests love it too! Pest infestations are not only a nuisance but they can pose a significant risk to your health and safety. Precautionary measures are worth the time and effort in order to prevent unwanted visitors from gaining easy access into your home.
As the colder months set in, here are 5 ways you can defend your home from pest infestations:
● Attic: Rodents including rats, mice, and squirrels will make a comfortable home for themselves in your attic. Since these spaces are less frequented, pests can live undetected for longer periods of time before finding their way into other areas of your home. Inspect your roof and repair any tiles or cracks as necessary. Inside, keep your attic clutter-free and store items in plastic bins, rather than cardboard boxes.
● Windows and Doors: Use a weather-proof, silicone, or acrylic latex caulk to fill in any cracks or gaps around your windows and doors. Ensure that mesh screens are free of rips and holes. If you find any tears, immediately patch or replace the screen entirely.
Finally, the bottom of your garage door should be outfitted with a rubber seal and items stored above the floor in plastic containers, to prevent potential nesting sites.
● Pipes and Drains: Increased precipitation is more likely to occur during this time of year. If there is one thing cockroaches love, it is a wet environment. Keep these pests out of your downpipes and guttering by inspecting these areas regularly for leaks. Use a
gutter sealant to repair damage and remove any obstructions such as fallen leaves, to keep excess water flowing.
● Chimney: If you have a chimney, chances are birds, bats, and other pests may try and enter your home through this access point. Installing a chimney cap or ¼ inch wire mesh over attic vents will help prevent these pests from finding their way into the walls of your home.
● Home Exteriors: Take the same precautions regarding the exterior of your home as you would the interior, when it comes to preventing pest infestations. An unkempt yard will provide excellent hiding spots and shelter for larger rodents, while woodpiles attract
insects. Tidy up branches and shrubbery trimmings on your lawn, and keep woodpiles away from your home.
Pests Seeking Shelter in Your Home? Call an Exterminator in Vancouver
There are many concerns that come with maintaining your home during the fall and winter months. For instance, you may worry about snow, frost, or wind damage. If you take the necessary steps to inspect and prepare your home, you can reduce the
chances of experiencing other seasonal related problems, such as pests. At Pest Detective, we can help solve your pest problems through a simple, yet innovative approach. With nearly 30 years of experience under our belt, our
certified technicians can help you identify entry points around your home and help reduce the overall number of pests on your property. Work with us to protect your family from a pest infestation and reclaim your home before the holiday
Hire an exterminator in Vancouver today by calling Pest Detective at a location near you. You can also contact our team of professionals online to ask any questions you might have about seasonal pest control in Vancouver.