Don’t Let Pesky Insects Spoil Your Outdoor Fun with These Tips from Your Pest Control Experts in Vancouver!
We are all too familiar with the constant battle of keeping the patio light on and swatting those pesky flies away from our face and food or eating and socializing in the dark. Mosquitos and other insects around your patio area during the summer and fall evenings can be very bothersome and even potentially dangerous if they are carrying diseases. The good news is that you can reduce the amount of insects that navigate towards your veranda or patio by simply replacing your outdoor light bulbs with warm-coloured LED lights.
How to Discourage Outdoor Insects from Swarming Your SpaceAccording to new research from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), insects are attracted to certain outdoor lights more than others. LEDs that produce a yellow/orange hue tend to be the most effective in keeping the bugs away. Unlike normal light bulbs with blue or ultraviolet light, bugs are not attracted to the colour yellow, which means they are less likely to bug you (no pun intended!).
- Incandescent light bulbs pull in the highest number of insects, followed by CFL, halogen globes, and cool-coloured LEDs.
- Insects are attracted to ‘white’ light, which is a combination of all colours. However, different insects are sensitive to particular combinations of these wavelengths.
- Yellow-hued LEDs tend to keep insects away and work better than 'bug lights’, which are the second best repellent.
- Bugs are naturally more attracted to stronger lights. Cutting down the wattage of your outdoor bulbs can reduce the amount of insects.
- Try switching your bulbs to halogen or sodium vapor bulbs.
- Minimizing the use of lights or turning those on after sunset can help protect you from the insects that swarm before dark.
- Light shades can also help make your lights less visible to insects from long distances.
Pest Detective – Your Trusted Pest Control Company Since 1986
The trick to enjoying a bug-free evening in your backyard patio this fall is to install warm-coloured LED bulbs in your light fixtures. If this doesn’t work and you detect swarms of insects invading your space, including earwigs and other critters, Pest Detective is here to help. We can eradicate the problem through quick and safe pest control in Vancouver.
Earwigs are a common problem in many parts of Vancouver, but can be effectively managed through several environmentally-friendly pest control solutions. The best thing you can do to prevent an infestation of earwigs is to eliminate high-moisture areas from around the outside of your home and near crawl spaces, faucets, and along your foundation. It’s also highly recommended that you direct all rain eavestroughs and downspouts away from your home’s foundation.
Not sure if you have an earwig problem? Visit our earwig page for more info to help identify the pests in your home.
Contact Pest Detective today to learn more about pest control in Vancouver and pest prevention to ensure you and your loved ones are comfortable in your home. You can also schedule an appointment for a free estimate for the removal of your pest problem.